Animal Farm Q3
Who are the main characters in the novel? do you like them? why or why not? what is special about them? what do they reveal about the universal human experience?
The main characters in the novel are pigs, dogs, hens, Boxer, Napoleon, Snowball, Squealer, humans, Benjamin, and Mollie. I like none of them. It is because all of them are either too selfish, indifferent, or are too stupid and slow of understanding of the current situation. For example, pigs and dogs are too selfish to keep the equality rule that all the animals must abide by. Especially, pigs are so greedy that they even gradually start to possess humans’ items, which were banned by the commandments. This characteristic could be a specialty about them, I think. I don’t like Boxer and the rest of the animals because they are too slow of realizing what’s going on in the farm. Boxer is even more retarded because he tries to overcome all the hardship by just working hard. I think the slowness of understanding the circumstances is what is special about them. And I hate Squealer because he deceives the pure animals for his own benefit. I think he is too mean because he does nothing productive to the farm. His lack of credibility is a specialty, I think. I also don’t like Benjamin because he even refuses to think and complain about his current life. Napoleon and Snowball also never appeared to be good rulers because all their actions were based on and focused on their own benefit. Although the animals have distinctly negative characteristics, they all show universal conditions of human experience because humans resemble those traits. And I think the author sort of intended to reveal humans’ characteristics through the animals. The animals also reveal the explicit fact that communism can not stay for a long period because of humans’ selfishness and desire to rule others.


4 Comments:
I also hated the greedy pigs. I, too, think that they are so selfish and they only care about their benefits. On the other hand, I liked Boxer. I know that he is very silly and stupid, thinking that working harder will improve the condition of Animal Farm, I liked his sincerity. When you think about it, in nowadays, there are not many people who try to work for the others that hard. Other than that, I agree with you that Animal Farm showed that the true meaning of Communism could not be actualized by the selfishness of humans.
I agree with what you think about they animals, yet not completely. Your thought about the animals representing human traits is very true, although they represent specific characters in real life. I agree that the animals were too foolish to understand the situation in the farm, and the pigs were solely searching for their own benefits. However, there is one point that I disagree with you, which is that, to me, Boxer was outstandingly diligent even though he was stupid. In my opinion, the author was trying to illustrate 'hope' through Boxer. Good work.
Eugene~~~~Eugene~~~~~~~ I agree to you~ ㅋ The main characters are all animals. And I also like none of them. Exactly they are all selfish and stupid. Each one tries to rule over the farm. The author tried to criticize the part when pigs did whatever they want. I really agree to you.
yea i totally agree with you my buddy eugene. i basically hate the book itself, too but yea the characters are crazy. i personally think that the author's attempt to criticize the problem with the russian revolution by using animals as the characters backfired.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home