eugene english

Monday, February 12, 2007

Animal Farm Q8

Entry of your choice(Allegory)

Animal farm is an allegorical story the author had purposely done to criticize the communism. Hence, many of the characters are actually based on real humans. The characters in the story actually have very similar traits to real persons. Napoleon describes Joseph Stalin because they are the ones who use military power to seize the authority after the revolution. They are the same in a violent way to take over the influence and to take away his opponent. They are also both dictators. Moreover, they both have big dream of owning the authority. And Squealer has similar characteristics to Vyacheslav Molotov’s because they both give lame excuses to their suspicious behaviors. For example, Squealer always appears to convince the stupid animals that whatever Napoleon has done has never violated the commandments. Squealer basically reflects all those who tried to defend and justify Napoleon’s doubtful actions. Snowball is also a very important character both in the story and reality. Snowball represents Leon Trotsky. Both are far more honest and enthusiastic toward their goals than Napoleon. They are the same because both of them get expelled. The stupid animals actually reflect stupid citizens, who had to follow whatever the ruler demanded them to believe. They sometimes got killed when they questioned or doubted about the ruler’s actions. For example, Napoleon commands to kill anyone who tried to defend Snowball that he had bravely fought during the revolution and even got injured. I think it was a great opportunity for me to read this story because our geography class has studied about Russian Revolution pretty deeply. Thus, I got to know of those important persons. Then, I understood the story once more by reading this interesting allegory. I think the allegory has helped me understand the characters and their roles far more thoroughly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzie said...

I think you did a great job at comparing Animal Farm and Russian Revolution. Also, I, too, got to know more about Russian Revolution by Animal Farm. I personally think that this book has deeper meaning because it is based on describing Russian Revolution.

March 1, 2007 at 4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home