eugene english

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Lord of the Flies Q2


Are there any current situations in the world that relate to the novel? what are they, and how do they relate? does the novel shed any light on how current situations could be resolved or "fixed"?

There are a lot of things that are highly related to this novel. First, I would say this society itself does relate to the story because people in the world get easily confused to pursue their instincts or rules. That is why raping stealing, murder, and many more immoral events are not ceasing to happen. Even though people know that they should not be doing those things, the still do because of their strong but wrong desire.

The story also talks about the fear through the lord of the flies. Kids believe they saw the beast when actually there wasn’t any. I think this could be compared to development of nuclear weapons in reality. The nations with nuclear weapons fear the invisible power of other nations that they end up with strengthening themselves with dangerous weapons to prepare for a war. Thus I think nuclear programs could be compared to the result of feeling fear of other nations.

I also think wars are related to this novel in terms of having different opinions and values. When nations disagree with some point or an issue, they sometimes end up with having a war. Likewise, Jack and Ralph gradually show their discomfort and dissatisfaction toward each other, and they finally broke the peace on the island.

I do not think the author sheds any light on solving the problem because the story ends with the meeting with the officer and being rescues. This scene never is a hope or a possibility to solving a problem. It is just that the kids were lucky that people discovered them. They did not compromise or try to seek the solution by themselves. Thus I do not think the author gave an answer to the problem.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Seo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 31, 2007 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Seo said...

Hi=]~~~~~! I agree with the three current events that you mentioned above. First, as you said, raping, stealing, murder, and many more immoral events are not ceasing. Also I think that nuclear programs could be compared to the result of feeling fear of other nations as the kids felt fearful of the ‘lord of the flies’. Lastly you mentioned about the war and this was same as what I thought. They end up having war if they have different views; Jack and Ralph, and many other countries. I also thought that the novel didn’t shed any light on solving the problem and I think that was a shame. You tell more about the current events and I think I learned a lot!!!!

March 31, 2007 at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home